– If you like McDonald’s Classic Fried Apple Pie then you are sure to enjoy this recipe because it’s easy to follow, delicious and also free from all the preservatives, flavor modifiers and colors those guys put in. These fried apple pies are a must try to apple lovers out there !!
– Dried apples: 8 ounces (you can also use dried peaches)
– Water: 1 cup
– Sugar: 1/3 cup
– Butter: 1 tablespoon
– Cinnamon : 1 tsp. (apple pie spice is also fine)
– Jumbo refrigerated flaky biscuits: 1 can
– Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a saucepan, combine apples and water then bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, it takes around half an hour.
- After that, you need to remove from heat and let cool, mashing slightly if pieces are large. And please stir in sugar and butter and set mixture aside.
- For the filling, if using fresh apples, you may want to add 2 TBS butter to a large saute pan and melt. You can then add together 4 peeled, cored and chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon, and 1 tsp lemon juice and cook over medium heat for quarter an hour, or until the apples are soft. After that, you need to remove from the heat, mash slightly and cool.)
- Make sure each biscuit is rolled into a 5-inch circle on a lightly floured surface, then place about 1 tablespoon apple mixture on half of each biscuit circle.
- I find it very useful to dip fingers in water and moisten edges of circles so to seal pies. Fold in half, and be careful edges are even. Then press edges firmly together to seal using a fork dipped in flour.
- Alright now, pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a heavy skillet (I prefer to use deep fryer). Immediately fry pies in hot oil (370°) over medium-high heat, turning once, until golden.
- Always remember not to rush it, as you want to make sure the biscuit is cooked completely through. The last step is to drain well on paper towels. This should make around 10 pies.