Sure! Here’s a simple recipe for savory hand pies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour until you get a crumbly texture.
- Gradually add the cold water to the flour mixture, and mix until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sautéing until softened and fragrant.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook until it’s browned and fully cooked. Stir in the dried thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and salt. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to about 1/8-inch thicknesse.Cut out circles using a round cutter or a glass.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the meat mixture onto one half of each dough circle. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape. Press the edges together with a fork to seal the hand pies.
- Place the hand pies on the prepared baking sheet, and brush the tops with the beaten egg for a golden crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the hand pies are golden brown.
- Let them cool slightly before serving. Enjoy your savory hand pies!
- Feel free to customize the filling with your favorite ingredients, and you can also add vegetables or different herbs for more flavor variations. Happy baking!