- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) salsa style tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick cooking rice (I use the jasmine)
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
In heavy stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat brown the Italian sausage and ground beef; breaking up as you go.
About halfway through the browning process add the onions and bell peppers; stirring several times. In the last minute of browning time reduce heat to medium low and add minced garlic; stirring constantly. Drain any excess grease.
Add beef broth, chicken broth and salsa style tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the peppers just begin to soften.
Add the rice and stir to coat. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. For best results serve promptly. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.